Headache and migraine in Ascot Vale and Moonee Ponds
Headaches affect so many of us. In fact, 87% of Australians have suffered headaches in the past year.
Migraine, an intense type of headache, also affects us. At least 16% of females suffer from migraines. And 5% of children will suffer from migraines by the age of 11.
Migraines are in the top 20 diseases world wide.
Symptoms of migraine and headache
Symptoms can vary from mild to debilitating from person to person.
Some symptoms may include:
Dull and throbbing pain
Tightness and pressure around the head
Sharp and piercing
Pain around the eyes, temples or back of the head
Abdominal pain (often in children)
Sensitivity to light and sound
Nausea and dizziness.
Types of migraine and headache
Some of the different types of headaches and migraines include:
Common and uncommon migraine
Drug induced headache.
Correct treatment must be centered around diagnosing and treatment.
Common causes of headaches and migraines
Neck and jaw tension
Diet and hydration
Stress and fatigue
Posture and head position
Hormones and medications.
Chiropractic care has been shown to be effective in treating headaches and migraines.
Treatments will vary from person to person and between conditions but may include:
Mobilisations and manipulations
Soft tissue treatments
Stress management and breathing exercises.
Contact us to find out if chiropractic care in Ascot Vale may be of benefit to you. We’d love to help you alleviate your pain!
1. Headache Australia website: http://headacheaustralia.org.au/what-is-headache/11-prevalence-and-cost-of-headache
2. Prevalence of headache and migraine in an Australian city- J. Heywood, T. Colgan, and C. Coffey- Journal of Clinical Neuroscience (1998) 5(4), 485.
3. Headache Disorders and Public Health, Education and Management Implications World Health Organization, Geneva, WHO/MSD/MBD/00.9, Sept 2000
4. CPDO online (continued professional development online): What is causing my patients headache. www.cpdo.com.au
5. Headache Australia: tension headaches: http://headacheaustralia.org.au/headache-types/16-tension-type-headache-the-most-common-type-of-headache
6. Integrated Clinical Neurology book 6 part 1. Terrett A. RMIT University 2011.
7. Spinal Manipulation vs. Amitriptyline for the Treatment of Chronic Tension-type Headaches: A Randomized Clinical Trial